Once a term ends students and instructors have read-only access to Canvas course sites for as long as OSU retains the course sites (We still encourage instructors to download course gradebooks to Excel at the end of the term, for their own records).
You can find past-term courses by clicking the Courses button in the gray Canvas menu, then click the All Courses link.
*Here is what you can expect once the term ends:
- Students will not be able to submit assignments, participate in discussions or send/receive conversation messages in past-term courses.
- Students do not have access to view quiz questions in past-term courses
- Students can download assignments they submitted to past-term courses
- Students and instructors can view grades for assignments, quizzes and discussions
- Students can download course documents from published modules in past-term course sites. (Instructors may hide course navigation menu links to Modules, Files, Pages, etc., before the last day of the term; neither students nor instructors can access hidden menu links in past-term courses. Instructors can import the course to a new shell in order to gain access to hidden menu links and content).
- Instructors can access Files in past-term course sites.
- Instructors can download the gradebook and individual student assignments in past-term course sites
- Instructors cannot change grades, assignments or any other course information in past-term Canvas course sites.
- Instructors cannot remove students from past-term course sites
*The term end-date is the first day of the subsequent term. OSU currently retains course sites for two years after the term ends. An ONID account is required to access Canvas course sites.
We strongly recommend leaving the default course settings as-is, but it is possible to restrict student access to Canvas course sites. Any changes must be made before the term ends
. See details here